Sunday, April 22, 2012

London Marathon

Race: London Marathon
Time/Position: 2:59:07 (1112 from 38000)
This was an opportunity missed, in the sense that conditions were good for decent times - reasonably cool but sunny, with a slightly annoying headwind in places. But having done just two 17-18m road runs in training, I knew that there was no way I could get round in any sort of shape unless I started very slowly. A PB was never on the cards today, let alone the 2:36 that my recent 10k/half marathon times optimistically predicted! I had some endurance in my legs from recent long hill runs and the Excalibur marathon three weeks ago, and that all helped, but in general I just plodded round the first half in 1:28. I then kept to the same gentle pace (four of my 5k splits were exactly 21:25, and two others were within 10 seconds of this) throughout, just concentrating on dipping under 3 hours for the first time since Edinburgh in 2008. This was my 15th marathon, and 5th London, and the atmosphere was, as ever, absolutely electrifying. As with 2010, it was just really nice to feel comfortable enough to absorb it all - and I particularly enjoyed Bermondsey (family support), Tower Bridge and Canary Wharf (ditto).

No comments: