Saturday, June 09, 2012

A'Chralaig

Peaks: A'Chralaig (1120m)
Area: Cluanie, Lochalsh
I had time for a very quick outing on our journey back home from Glenelg. This probably wasn't the ideal choice, as it was too close to the start of the long drive, but I thought the weather might be worse further south. Kate and the kids had a drink at the Cluanie Inn while I treated A'Chralaig as one big training blast. In this respect, at least, it was ideally suited: a big brute of a hill with an unrelenting steep climb from the road NE to gain the surprisingly long and enjoyable south ridge. I managed to run the vast majority of this, having enjoyed a rest day on Skye yesterday (apart from a walk with E up the lower summit of Sgurr na Coinnich above Kylerhea). Indeed, I really enjoyed the gentler running up the long ridge. I hadn't quite appreciated the sheer size of this hill, much higher than the South Glen Shiel ridge opposite, and took 40 minutes to reach the cairn from the road. Clag on top, sadly: I would have been better off waiting until further south for my outing after all. I'd promised Kate I'd be back at Cluanie in around an hour, so pelted flat out down the ridge - superbly exhilarating with the mist clearing and some sunshine peaking through, revealing the Inn way below, framed in front of Thursday's peaks. The entire descent gave wonderful downhill running and I was back at the pub about 25m after leaving the summit. A long drive home to flood-hit Wales followed, sorry to be leaving after another tremendous Highland week of perfect weather.

No comments: