Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Up the Beast fell race

Race: Up the Beast (4.5m/1500ft/AS)
Time/Position: 37:33 (6th from 74 [2nd V40])
An unmissable local event, always a pleasure, despite the fact that it is possibly the steepest fell race in North Wales for short sections (it's still dubbed a 'trail race' in certain places, amusingly enough). I thoroughly enjoyed the initial run through the woods, and the first steep scramble through the limestone crags that gives this race its 'character', but blew comprehensively on the final run back through the woods. Might have been tired after last week's activities in the Highlands, but can't really use that as an excuse - the main issue is that I'm losing time on all the descents at the moment. Simon E went past on Bryn Alyn, but I managed to stay with him until the descent of the Beast when he pulled away. I rather hoped I might catch him on the run-in, but instead I slowed to a crawl and was passed by another runner to end up 6th. I was three places down on last year, well over half a minute slower.

No comments: