Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wrexham Border League

Race: Wrexham 4m+ (Border League race 7)
Time/Position: 22:05 (10th from 274 [3rd V40])
The climax of another league season, and it was as tight as ever: just a few points separating 2nd from 4th in my category. The final race of the season is usually the most competitive of all, so it was a big surprise to record my first ever top 10 finish (after over 40 BL races) given that my target was just to maintain this season's run of top 20 finishes. I did feel good for some reason, around this very familiar one lap circuit of the lanes east of Wrexham: the best I've felt at a race for months and months, come to think of it. Felt comfortable at around 5:25 per mile, and kept a reasonable pace churning over, picking up numerous places right through to the line. The results were unfortunately wrong at the presentation afterwards, as this final performance hadn't been recorded for the male vets! But eventually I ended up 2nd V40 for the season, same as last year, and 6th overall. Finished with 91 points, which is my lowest total in seven or so years of competing in the league.

No comments: