Saturday, September 28, 2013

Rab Mountain Marathon

Race: Rab Mountain Marathon, day one
Peaks: Catbells, Maiden Moor, Grey Knotts, Fleetwith Pike, Haystacks, High Crag, High Stile
Time/Position: 310pts in 5:31 (13th from 213 [2nd V40])
After missing the Rab last year, I was keen to give it a good bash again, particularly after my disastrous showing on home soil in the Carneddau in 2011. This turned out to be a magical weekend of stunning weather and fantastic running in the most beautiful corner of the Lakes, with superbly challenging route planning and the usual low-key atmosphere: my 5th appearance at this great event. The HQ was at Newlands Adventure Centre, which I'd last visited 25 years ago to the day on a Manchester University geography field trip, Fresher's Week 1988! After a good night's sleep in the back of the car, and a large breakfast, I set off from Skelgill: it was a beautiful clear morning, so I didn't really think much about route choice - I just wanted to get on the ridge as soon as possible just to enjoy it. As such, a quick slog up and over the Catbells ridge revealed the famous view of Derwent Water. Possibly the best view in England, so I continued south along the ridge to savour it a little more, over Catbells to Hause Gate - fantastic easy running - before contouring round (slightly unnecessary) to another control below Maiden Moor. From the summit, I picked a good and fast line down Narrow Moor to a hidden control well down the Borrowdale side of High Spy, at Nitting Haws. I remember struggling to this point into a ferocious headwind during the infamous OMM of 2008. From here, a long traverse on tricky terrain led to Launchy Tarn, before an easy leg picked up more points at the little quarry familiar from the Borrowdale fell race final climb up Dale Head. Fast running down to Honister Pass, then up an excellent hidden trod to gain big points at a high knoll above Seatoller: very distant from start and finish! From here I took another efficient line SW, spying out a narrow ledge that traversed diagonally above Raven Crag (Gillercombe Buttress) to gain the Grey Knotts/Brandreth ridge. Nobody else took this line, which had some scrambling, but it landed me bang on the control at a little pond. It was all going so well, something had to go wrong: and it did so immediately. I didn't properly plan the next section: so dropped down to a control at Dubs Bottom before embarking on the draining climb direct up to the summit of Fleetwith Pike. I had planned to go directly across to High Crag, but the height loss and sheer steepness rendered this completely ludicrous, so I effectively had to retrace my steps before picking up the path over Haystacks. Clearly, I did this section in completely the wrong order. I was furious with myself, and reckon it cost me between 20 and 40 points. Still, the traverse of Haystacks was a delight, one of Lakeland's finest corners. It was very hot now, and I stripped to the waist before dibbing the control at exquisite Blackbeck Tarn. Tiring lumpy terrain leads over the crowded summit of Haystacks to Scarth Gap, before the very steep climb up High Crag. I've been this way at least twice before, once in a ferocious blizzard, and knew it would be the crux - especially in this heat. But the views of Pillar are superb, and a 40 point checkpoint awaited me on the summit. I got to High Stile efficiently, the highpoint of the ridge, then headed for home directly down a very steep gully on Chapel Crags to Bleaberry Tarn. I was tired now after five hours of running, so was pleased to take the zigzag path east of Sour Milk Gill to Buttermere. Then it was 3-4k back along the roads and a bridleway to the overnight camp at Cinderdale Common. I found myself in 13th place overnight, second Veteran: just 20 points behind the leader, about what I lost due to my stupid route planning error. The camp was in a lovely spot above Crummock Water: hot and sunny, with superb views back up to High Stile.

No comments: