Sunday, September 01, 2013

Caernarfon 10k

Race: Caernarfon 10k (North Wales Championships)
Time/Position: 36.10 (9th from 211 [2nd V40])
It's always nice to have an excuse to head out to Caernarfon with the family, even though we'd just got back from a long drive to London via Leicester. This was an opportunity to clear the head, although I still had a long urban East End run through Leyton in my legs. As such, it was a workmanlike performance at best, a few seconds down on last year's time (when it incorporated the Welsh Champs) and even further down on my best time for the course. I know from past experience that it is easy for me to overdo it on the flat seaside section that goes on for over 4k, with great views of Mynydd Mawr and the Menai Straits. I have suffered on the hills that give the rest of this route its character as a result of this in the past. So I took it fairly easy, especially as there was a headwind, losing too much ground to others in the category perhaps and going through 5k in 18.00. But it did mean I felt reasonably fresh for the hills, and I did pick up a few more places before losing out in the final very fast section past the castle.

No comments: