Saturday, September 07, 2013

Viso Mozzo

Peak: Viso Mozzo (3019m/9,904ft)
Area: Cottian Alps, Piemonte, Italy
This peak is completely overshadowed by Monte Viso and was a very disappointing consolation prize for me after abandoning the main climb. The day had started encouragingly after a 4am breakfast and an efficient start under clear starlit skies. All very atmospheric, particularly as we reached the chains and via ferrata section that leads up a series of steep ridges to gain Passo Sangatte. As the first glimmers of light allowed us to see the onward route, the mist came down around the upper cwm. Worse, I was suffering from a nasty stomach bug and had managed very little sleep. After some half-hearted slogging up the base of the cwm I decided to call it a day and - after months of planning - retreated back down the chains to the hut, after which I climbed up Viso Mozzo in disconsolate mood. I did, however, have the bonus of some stunning photographic scenes as the mist cleared on a number of occasions. Spectacular views up mist-draped rock walls, thousands of feet high, along with several brockenspectres as the sun backlit my shadow on the clouds below. I sauntered down to Pian del Rei where I walked up the neighbouring valleys and bathed in the source of the Po as I waited for Vic.

No comments: