Sunday, December 01, 2013

Cardington Cracker fell race

Race: Cardington Cracker (15k/800m/AM)
Time/Position: 1.27.56 (23rd from 259)
After feeling so awful on last week's race, I decided to go down to Shropshire with Huw and Andy at the last minute for this race - just to see if I felt any better. The answer, sadly, was no - and I came in a full five minutes slower than the time I recorded in 2011. The usual big field set off in perfect conditions, still and cool, from the chocolate-box village of Cardington. I set off steadily, and felt reasonably good for the ultra steep first climb up the Lawley: best to crawl on all fours at times! After the fast descent, I started to slow slightly on the second big climb up the Stretton side of Caer Caradog. The descent from here to the woods below Hope Bowdler hill is superb, and in 2011 I remember flying along this final section which takes in one more climb up Hope Bowdler then a long undulating ridge (the kind of terrain that is fantastic if you are going well and picking up places - the opposite was the case today!). Towards the end I creaked into some kind of life, but it was far too late. This really is a superb route though, and a great event.

No comments: