Sunday, December 29, 2013

Jubilee Plunge

Race: Jubilee Plunge downhill fell race (2.2m/-1361ft)
Time/Position: 12.07 (10th from 75)
This unique race produces a level of muscle damage out of all proportion to it's short length and duration: no doubt a sign of my inflexibility! It's a very exciting event, though, albeit one that I'm never likely to do well on. A very pleasant trot up from Llangynhafal with Jez, Huw, John and others - under beautiful blue skies - to the eccentrically positioned start on top of Moel Famau (with a holiday crowd looking on with curiosity). An insanely fast start along the OD path to the north: then the best route to the finish at the Golden Lion pub breaks off left down narrow and exciting tracks. I then took a different route, contouring the hillside directly down to the gate at the bottom of the valley. Sadly, thick bracken makes this no quicker than the normal route and, after a slow vault of the gate, I found myself further behind the small group of runners in front. Try as I might, I couldn't close the gap: 10 seconds separated fifth place and me in tenth. The beer in the Goldie was as good as ever.

No comments: