Sunday, April 13, 2014

London Marathon

Race: London Marathon
Time/Position: 3.09.12 (2208 from 36000)
Bit of a 'Hamlet moment' as my 6th London marathon came to an undignified end in the riverside Portaloos with 5k left to run. Ended up 20 minutes down on target time, having suffered from my old bete noire, an upset stomach which started just after half way and ended with a desperate search for a privy as I hobbled down the Strand. I haven't suffered from this affliction for several years, and it doesn't happen when you are well trained of course: there is no way I would have achieved sub 2.50 today, as I just didn't have the training in my legs. Started off reasonably well, enjoying the wonderful crowds (better than ever in today's perfect spring sunshine), and kept to a very precise 6:30 mile pace, going through half exactly on target in 1.25.16. But whereas I found that pace very comfortable at the Trimpell 20 last month, I never felt good today - blowing a bit even as I went over what is usually the race highlight, Tower Bridge. Then the familiar stomach cramps kicked in, and although I revived a bit through 16-17 miles at Canary Wharf, it was game over for a PB. The day turned into a nightmare as I searched for a toilet in vain. But after the 'hamlet moment', which was quite relaxing (!), I felt better and rather enjoyed the final 5k in the usual electrifying and unparalleled atmosphere along the Embankment and past Big Ben as I just concentrated on a sub 3.10 qualifying time.

No comments: