Saturday, April 05, 2014

Tour of Flanders Cyclo Sportive

Cycle Sportive: Ronde van Vlaanderen, Belgium (135k:160k)
Time: 6.08
Unlike the Tour de France, I can't claim to have been watching the Ronde for 25 years. But when I first saw the professional race on TV five years ago I realised it was something very special indeed: a uniquely arduous, dramatic sporting event and the celebration of a distinctive culture (my cup of tea, in other words). Expectations were therefore high as I registered at first light in the Qubus in Oudenaarde (having driven down via London and the Dover-Dunkirk ferry, arriving in Flanders late at night and sleeping in the car). I'd only done one ride in training (and that was only 80k at most), and was worried about mechanical issues on the cobbles, but I was optimistic that general running fitness would see me through. Still, I thought it best to start conservatively, and did so, riding in a series of steady groups as the route starts nice and gentle along the banks of the Schelde. Prospects looked very good, as the sun began to peep through high clouds (I was dreading rain so was very relieved by the forecast). The route then heads off towards the cobbles and the hellingen (the local name for the vicious cobbled climbs that form the backbone of the race). Soon, we were into the climbs - the Wolvenberg came first, a steep climb but on tarmac, just a light aperitif. The first section of cobbles (Ruiterstraat) was, inevitably, a brutal shock to the system - the first time I had ever ridden on them, the constant pounding is extraordinary, it feels like your brain is leaking out of your ears. I was expecting to puncture constantly, and was always amazed to emerge onto tarmac unscathed: riding the cobbles is a unique experience. Then came the Molenberg, a more accurate taste of what is to come: very short but very steep with some of the worst cobbles of the event, huge gaps between the slabs. Still, I was pleased to feel quite confident on the hellingen, and found I was passing quite a few riders on the climbs. Quite quickly, we were onto the Kerkgate, a very long (almost 3k) section of brutal cobbles, dust thrown up, painful yet also absorbing as you plot the best line through and try to maintain a decent pace in a biggish gear (which makes it 'easier'). The scenery here was delightful: rolling hills, blue skies, and neat little hamlets hidden down side valleys. The tarmac sections were tranquil: easy to get in groups and churn away. Then the lengthy cobbles of the Paddestraat, more weaving to get the best line (and some use of the storm gutter!). The respite didn't last, however, as a sharp turn heralds the Haaghoek, a particularly nasty 2k section of cobbles which leads straight into the climb of the Leberg. Great stuff, followed by another sunny respite with the easier tarmac climbs of the Valkenberg and the juddering concrete of the Boigneberg, followed by the longer cobbled climb of the Eikenberg. After a second feed station near Oudenaarde (the route is basically two big loops), a lovely flat track (in an excellent group going at my pace) led to Melden and arguably the most legendary of all Flemish climbs: the Koppenberg. I glanced up from the smooth track and saw it rising up to the left into the woods. All rather exciting. I knew that this hill is considered almost unrideable by some, and because it is so narrow (much less than 2m) and steep (22%), if one rider dismounts, everyone has to. So I tried to get a space in front of me. After an initial gentle section, it kicks up alarmingly into a wooded trench. I knew I could do it, and powered up - only to faced with a wall of walkers and fallers on the steepest section. So I had no choice but to dismount. This was very annoying, but a guy was helping those that wanted to get get back on their bikes, so I was able to continue to the top (vowing I would come back tomorrow morning to do it again!). Then the climbs come thick and fast - the climax of the pro race. The Steenbeekdries is followed by the short but very steep Taaienberg, then the Kaperij. We passed briefly into Wallonia after the Kaperij (lovely scenery from the top of this), and the French-speaking world, before a super-fast and exhilarating descent down towards Ronse. The comes the longer Kanarieberg and the Kruisberg (a very old feature of the Ronde, a long but fairly gentle climb on regular cobbles). Finally the easy tarmac climb of the Karnemelkbeek leads to the ultimate climax: the wonderful Oude Kwaremont (sharp cobbles leading up to a battering on more flat cobbles) before the final climb up the perfectly straight and brutally steep Paterberg. I was determined to get a clear run, and did so, really enjoying this atmospheric finale. I felt very fresh, so picked up the pace for the final 17k to the finish, getting in some good groups but just failing to break 6 hours - perhaps I should have spent less time at the feed zones! The timed section was 135k, but there is a lovely little ride through the very atmospheric old centre of Oudenaarde, complete with tens of thousands of bikes and cyclists, through to the finish zone. I then cycled back to the car, then back in to the museum and a surprisingly quiet bar for an Ename and a sandwich. A fantastic event - freed from any pretence to be 'competitive' (in contrast to running) I enjoyed every second and was delighted to feel comfortable throughout. Didn't even have any mechanical issues, although I will never know how I avoided puncturing for 160k!

No comments: