Thursday, April 17, 2014

Yr Eifl/Carneddau run

The worst day of a glorious sunny week, which was rather annoying. Grey skies and low cloud as we all set off for Tre'r Ceiri above Llanaelhaearn on Llyn. I was last here well over 10 years ago with Rob, and well remember the superb views from the top: some of the best in Wales. It was all a bit dank today, and M complained bitterly all the way up - refusing to go to the top. But the hillfort and ancient hut walls are amazingly well preserved, and E and I got the views down the peninsula to both coasts from the summit. After lunch, I jogged across to the weaving path up to the main summit of Yr Eifl at 564m. Sadly, a coastal mist had rolled in and although this little hill is spectacularly poised directly above the sea, I could have been anywhere. We headed back along the coast for paned a teisen in Aber, and I then did an extra run through the Carneddau back to Conwy while the family drove home. I started off up the Foel Fras race route to pick up the Drum track. Along here with a helpful tailwind, always a gloriously open place to run, to Bwlch y Ddaefaen. From here, I branched off along the Pen fell race route at Cae Coch. This is one of my favourite places to run, and the sun came out as I enjoyed the soft grass gently downhill past Caer Bach to the old church at Llangelynin. The only problem is that this route finishes with a long road section down through Henryd back to Conwy.

No comments: