Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Esterel 'triathlon'

As ever, the problem with staying in the Esterel is that there is too much to do! I'd already enjoyed my favourite early morning running loop via the Gorges de Perthus and Col de Mistral. But since I had the bike with me, I thought an informal 'triathlon' might be good (a 'quadrathlon', including rock climbing, might be a future possibility). A hint of the mistral in the air, so a cool morning outing before breakfast with incredible clarity of light for the time of year. I headed into the Esterel by bike, then climbed up to the Plateau d'Antheor, changed into running gear, and ran up Pic du Cap Roux via the fantastic contouring path that offers unparalleled views of the silvery med and red rocks above the Corniche d'Or. From the summit, crystal clear views to Gelas and the rest of the Maritime Alps. I ran down: a quick descent, then cycled east round the base of Cap Roux to the col and up Pic de l'Ours, which comes across like a 'mini Ventoux'. Hot, but not desperately so, and a long sequence of hairpins with brilliant views over Cannes. Sadly, access is barred to the top section of the summit road so I was restricted to the Col de Notre Dame just below to the top. From here, I cycled back via Saint Baume and went for an incompetent floundering swim to complete the 'triathlon'.

No comments: