Saturday, July 05, 2014

Moel Siabod fell race

Race: Moel Siabod (9km/2300ft)
Time/Position: 56.01 (15th from 111)
One of those events I have never got round to doing, partly because I am often away on holiday this time of year. I've always wanted to try to get a decent time for this classic up-and-down route, though, as it leaves Capel Curig from the bridge by the A5, touches the cairn and heads straight back down. It was a beautiful day after early rain - deep blue skies and fluffy clouds, warm. I climbed reasonably well, touching the cairn in 37 minutes. Sadly, I descended like an invalid and lost well over a minute on most of those nearby as I reached the summit. Superb views of the Snowdon group, but not much time to enjoy them as I began my slow descent. My ankle still has a weakness after Jura, and I went over on it immediately in the boulder field near the summit. As a result I found it hard to relax and let go, even on the grassy descent lower down. I lost a couple of places and took a slow 19 minutes to get back to Capel. A dip in the river, followed by superb goulash and sandwiches on the sun-drenched showfield after the race.

No comments: