Saturday, July 12, 2014

Tal y Fan fell race

Race: Tal y Fan fell race (13k/2600ft/AM)
Time/Position: 1.15.01 (5th from 44)
There are at least two other races (Gladstone and Penmaenmawr) that use some of the same paths round the northern fringe of the Carneddau, but I think this race makes the best use of the terrain: a really enjoyable and runnable event. After a family morning in Bodnant, I joined a small field leaving the Rowen village carnival to take in the brutally steep lane that heads past the hostel to join the old bridleway leading past the farm house to the normal route up Tal y Fan from below Bwlch y Ddaefaen. I reached the summit with a small group of other runners in around 35 minutes, then concentrated on staying with them for the long but gradual descent down to the stone circle at Cae Coch. This is wonderful terrain, wild but surprisingly runnable and fast in these relatively dry conditions. Once we hit the coastal path, with its great views over Allt Fawr and the Orme, I was able to push on a bit and soon found myself up with a group of four runners. We were all well behind Jez, who won easily, but well ahead of everyone else. At times, I moved up to 4th and then 3rd as the race takes in some very familiar tracks (the ancient paths above Llangelynin Old Church being some of my favourite places anywhere). But once we regained the steep tarmac descent I lacked the leg speed and sprint finish (as ever!) to pull back any places: ending at the back of the four-man group.

No comments: