Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Beast

Race: Up the Beast fell race (4.5m/1500ft)
Time/Position: 48.01 (11th from 94)
I've done every one of these races (eight in total) and this is the first time I've finished outside the top ten. I was third overall not so long ago, but can't see that ever happening again. This is partly because I'm getting slower, but partly because I'm convinced everybody else is getting quicker! I was around a minute down on my best time tonight, although slightly quicker than last year: so not too bad given it was my first short fell race since Rhobell Fawr in November. As a result, recent road races made the early tracks through the woods quite comfortable, but the steep climb up the beast reduced me to a striding walk much earlier than previous years. It was a hot, quite humid evening, and the second climb back up Bryn Alyn is always desperately airless and sweaty. I saved some energy over Bryn Alyn in warm sunshine, then I did start to make up a few places, and finished reasonably strongly on the return through the woods.

No comments: