Sunday, June 28, 2015

Moel y Gamelin fell race

Race: Moel y Gamelin (10m/2000ft/AM)
Time/Position: 1.23.31 (9th from 49 [2nd V45])
Yet another race where I struggled to maintain any kind of pace and did not enjoy myself. Not bothered about getting slower, but would like to enjoy myself on races again - still waiting for a decent performance in 2015! I felt OK as we climbed Moel y Faen, and in the past I've paced this race quite well. But today I think I used too much energy just keeping a decent pace going over the summits of Gamelin and Morfydd in a strong headwind. A heavy shower made for bracing progress over the final summit, and stayed with us on the long descent over Bwlch y Groes and out over the lonely terrain further west. This long XC section is where I've managed to pick the pace up in the past, but today I just lost energy again and blew (yet again) on the gentle incline back towards the ridge. Then really suffered for the main climb back up the Conquering Hero bridleway to regain the ridge. I crawled back over Gamelin, losing three places as stronger finishers went past. I did get a second wind back over Moel y Faen but the damage was already done.

No comments: