Monday, June 22, 2015

Glyderau run and wild camp

Peak: Y Garn
Area: Glyderau, Eryri
An impromptu decision to indulge in a solo wild camp, as close to the summer solstice as was feasible. The day had dawned wet, windy and quite cold, but was starting to clear by the time I left work. After some bouldering (below) there was still a disappointing amount of black cloud around as I started to jog up the Idwal path from Ogwen Cottage at around 6.30pm, but there were signs that it might clear a bit. I made good progress past the slabs and Twll Ddu, and had the entire range to myself, as I'd hoped, as I gained the plateau between Y Garn and Glyder Fawr. I pitched on a perfect flat spot right next to the shore of Llyn y Cwn: a delightful site. I then jogged up Y Garn: sadly rather cold and cloudy, with a hint of drizzle in the air. A few clearances over the Llyn peninsula and the Irish Sea, shafts of sunlight. I went back for my rather spartan evening meal: some pasta on the stove, and a couple of mugs of tea, it was indeed an impromptu camp! I then ambled up to some scrambling on the steeper spurs coming down from Glyder Fawr as the weather started to clear around 9pm. Quite quickly, most of the cloud melted away and I sat in the sunshine near the summit plateau of Glyder Fawr relaxing and looking down to my tent near the lake. A few midges, but nothing too serious, and the temperature dropped as the sky turned lilac. I retired to the sound of grey wagtails and meadow pipits, and read the Sunday paper in bed before dozing off.

No comments: