Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Birkenhead 5 mile

Race: Birkenhead Open Five Mile
Time/Position: 28.46 (17th from 212 [3rd V45])
This is apparently the oldest race on Merseyside, so it seemed an appropriate place to make my debut as a V45 after my birthday last week. It attracts a strong field of club runners, so the start was very fast. I kept to 5.5 minute mile pace and went through three miles in 16.30. It's a three lap loop round this very nice, historic park. I know the park well from the Border League route which I've done many times, but this race takes a completely different route, with fewer twists and turns but one longish gentle climb which really starts to sap the energy on the second and third lap. As a result, I started to lose time, but not too many places as a relatively warm evening caused everyone around me to slacken off at about the same pace. Around 50 seconds outside my PB, so not too bad given current lack of speed work.

No comments: