Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Green Grass fell race

Race: Green Grass of Home fell race (5m/1500ft)
Time/Position: 43.15 (6th from 79 [3rd V40])
A completely new route for this race, the third in the summer evening series. It's not one I've been able to do very often over the years, as I'm generally away on holiday. Having not done much since returning from Morocco with a dose of delhi belly, I asked Jez if he fancied tripling the mileage by running over to the start from Cilcain. He liked the idea, so we jogged over the old drover's road to the top of the Clwydian ridge, then past the start and down to the Goldie in Llangynhafal to register. The new route was really excellent, very runnable, and I actually enjoyed myself for a change. It went back up the track towards the ridge, then steeply up to gain the Clwydian Hills climb - which in descent is a fast and exhilarating treat. I passed four runners on this descent, unusual for me, and found myself in sixth place as we then climbed out of the hidden valley to the north. Overgrown in places but a very obscure part of the range and good fun. This was a long climb, and it emerged on the main OD ridge path. Superb running along here in perfect conditions: some evening sunshine and a cool breeze. The route branched off towards Cilcain (that is, the way Jez and I had just run over) and then along the narrow path towards Famau and Pwll y Rhos. Then back over Moel Dywyll to a hard and tussocky descent. My ankle gave way almost immediately and my old shoes (with toe flaps hanging off) continually tripped over the thick heather. I ended up on my back twice! Lost loads of ground and could hear runners gaining on me. Luckily, I just held them off before gaining the main track and pelting down this to the finish. Got the first V40 prize but only by default. After prize giving and a pint, we ran back over the ridge to Cilcain as darkness fell.

No comments: