Saturday, December 31, 2016

Bowstones fell race

Race: Bowstones fell race, Poynton (11k/1063ft)
Time/Position: 47.47 (23rd from 389)
We all really enjoyed this fine coda to the running year in 2015, so went back again. But whereas last year I felt quite good on this fast and runnable race, which is almost closer to a trail or multi-terrain event, I struggled from an early stage this year. I still had hamstring damage from the Jubilee Plunge although can't really blame that for my travails which were more fundamental in nature! The route is eyeballs out throughout, with no really steep climbs: it goes gently up into Lyme Park, then embarks on a steady climb interspersed with a wooded descent that eventually leads to a short ridge on the edge of the Peak. I lost around 10 places on the climb, struggling to run, but gained a few on the descent back to the Cage Tower and Lyme Park: eventually finishing around a minute (and 10 places) down on last year.

No comments: