Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Jubilee Plunge

Race: Jubilee Plunge (2.2m/-1361ft)
Time/Position: 12.39 (8th from 81)
The shortest and physically easiest race of the year, yet always the most damaging in terms of recovery! I'd avoided it in favour of the 5k handicap last year, conscious that my poor descending and overstriding leaves my legs in shreds for a week even if I hold back. It is one of the most enjoyable outings of the year though, and I have always liked the village pub. A convivial trot to the top of Moel Famau for this most eccentric of race starts in front of the usual crowd of curious onlookers on the Jubilee Tower: nice weather with low sunshine and milky high cloud. I started mid-pack, the intention being to take it easy and save my legs. This backfired in a fairly obvious way as I found myself way behind on the first steep drop then felt obliged to push on the ridge to try to gain some places. By the time you reach the narrow track branching off towards the Vale it is all too late. I could see Steve, Andy and Chris below me and knew I was unlikely to catch up! It is a fantastic grassy descent back to the road but I avoided the 'shortcut' as nobody else seemed to be taking it. The flatter fields back to the pub suit me a bit better and I ended up half a minute down on my best time. My fourth time at the Plunge, and the third short enjoyable race in four festive days.

No comments: