Saturday, December 24, 2016

Wepre Parkrun

"Race": Wepre Parkrun (5k)
Time/Position: 20.16 (6th)
My Parkrun debut, after almost 500 'formal' races since 1982. Legs were a little tender after yesterday's exertions in the Berwyn storm, but these are not races, merely 'timed runs'. A little lap (on which I have previously marshalled) with a sharp climb leads to two longer laps each containing two longer climbs. The course is quite challenging and would make an excellent hard XC course with one or two more laps. I really enjoyed it, despite my jaded limbs which remained creaky and tired throughout, and despite the fact I recorded my slowest ever 5k time by quite a considerable margin! In fact I was three minutes slower even than this year's best 5k time, but this is certainly not a quick course (in fact, some say it is the hardest UK Parkrun). It is the 32nd week at Wepre, so I was rather surprised to break the course record for my V45 age category. Very nice inclusive event: neatly followed by our usual Christmas Eve walk.

No comments: