Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Berwyn run and bivouac

Peaks: Cadair Bronwen, Cadair Berwyn
Area: Berwyn, Eryri
A kit-testing trip, bivvying on the summit of Cadair Berwyn. As a younger man, I slept in the old orange polythene bivvy bags numerous times: condensation was the inevitable result and I still retain powerful memories of the associated discomfort. Over a quarter of a century on, technology has evolved a bit and I wanted to try out my new rather more sophisticated bag in as remote a location as was feasible in an after-work trip. Cadair Berwyn fitted that particular bill nicely, and it was a glorious early evening as I set off from Llandrillo with lightweight 'mountain marathon' style sac. Along the initially steep track to gain the excellent runnable track going past the stone circle of Moel Ty Uchaf. I left my sac at Bwlch Maen Gwynedd then ran up Cadair Bronwen for fabulous views over to the Clwydians and beyond. I then descended Nant Cwm Llawenog to get water. It is unusually dry everywhere across the region at present: very little running water across the entire Berwyn range. Advantages: dry feet, a real novelty. Disadvantages: not ideal on a summit bivouac, long detours for water required! I jogged to the summit of Cadair Berwyn, setting up the bivvy site just below the trig point in the lee of a light but persistent westerly. The evening past pleasantly. I jogged over for views of Llyn Lluncaws, had a nice meal of salmon, noodles and bulgar wheat and then, partly for training purposes, descended a long way (2k and 250m) down Cwm Tywyll for water. Views were extensive in all directions: across to the Rhinogydd and Irish Sea, up as far as Tal y Fan and Moel Hiraddug to the north, and down to the Wrekin, Caer Caradog and Corndon to the south. The sun set over central Eryri through thin ribbons of black cloud. Sadly, the new bag did not prevent the old condensation problem: I slept fitfully and woke in the small hours, rather damp and uncomfortable, reminding me of the polythene bag bivouacs of my youth. As it was a working day, I needed some more sleep than that so headed back to Llandrillo in the dark which turned into a perfect night-time navigation exercise! A couple of hours extra sleep in the back of the car, then a working day via some superb early morning bouldering at Trevor Rocks above Llangollen, followed by a run along the escarpment in wonderful conditions before 8am.

No comments: