Thursday, August 31, 2017

Cwm Llafur scramble and run

Peaks: Carnedd Dafydd, Yr Elen
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
A version of the Cwm Llafur horseshoe, last done in superb snowy conditions in early January, incorporating the Llech Ddu spur. After dropping Kate at work and a coffee in the Puffin cafe, I parked in lower Gerlan and ran up the lanes to the start of the Black Ladders path. This is very boggy initially, but the scenery is the essence of Welshness in this little area, I always think. After the branch off for the walking path to Dafydd, the path becomes dry and flat: and gives excellent fast running towards the impressive headwall of the Cwm, one of the finest in Wales. Llech Ddu rises in front, with Ysgolion Duon (Black Ladders) beyond. I have done the Llech Ddu/Crib Lem scramble a few times over the years, but less than the other classics: it is remote and superbly situated. But the last two visits to these parts were for winter routes on the Black Ladders. A small path leads up Cwmglas Bach and eventually cuts left above the top of Llech Ddu to gain the start of the rocky spur that initiates the scramble. It was soaking wet throughout, but at least the rain stopped while I was on it - cold hands but enjoyable climbing throughout. A good run along the ridge, less tired than I was at the same point on Monday, before branching off for the contouring path that we'd taken 64 hours earlier on our 3000s run - I could clearly see our Innov8 footprints in the mud! At the top of Yr Elen, the rain began again in earnest and I got a right soaking as I ran down the excellent ridge to plunge into the dense vegetation at the base of Cwm Llafur. By the time I reached the car in Gerlan I was soaked and cold: a foretaste of winter as my numb hands fumbled with the car keys.

No comments: