Saturday, August 05, 2017

Lanhydrock Parkrun

'Race': Lanhydrock Parkrun, Cornwall (5k)
Time/Position: 19.19 (1st from 286)
Supposedly the toughest Parkrun in the country, although I didn't know that before the start. It just knocks our local Wepre run into second place, with 5ft more climbing! I chose it only because of its perfect location, just off the A30 and ideally timed at one hour in to our journey home. The setting is very nice, in the grounds of Lanhydrock house, a major National Trust venue outside Bodmin. From the start, a very fast plunge down tarmac paths leads to an equally rapid fell race-style descent through woods, which all means the first half is covered unusually quickly. I worked my way up the field during the only flat section, along a pretty riverbank, before the race rears up dramatically for the last mile. A long and steep climb, gaining 270ft and reminiscent of a mild fell race came next, although it also took in a wet field with uncomfortably long grass. I thought that a young lad was in front of me, so was rather surprised to finish in first place in the 'timed run'.

No comments: