Sunday, July 21, 2019

Psilafi ridge

Peaks: Strifomadhi (1921), Psilafi (1984)
Area: Lekfa Ori. Crete
I was looking for a way of extending my time in the White Mountains before leaving for the central range of Psiloritis, and decided that the rounded peaks to the west of Gigilos were ideal as a short 'active rest day'. After another relaxing night at the lovely Neos Omalos, this time with a balcony that faced the low range of mountains north of the hamlet, I set off for Xyloscala after another breakfast of local products. Unfortunately the first part of the route necessitated retracing my steps up the zigzags taken by the Gigilos climb, but as it starts to descend to the pinnacles I struck directly up the goat tracks to gain a broken fence which follows the ridge to the summit of Strifomadhi. I tried to contour further right, pointlessly as it was completely pathless, and meant I missed out on the best views. Eventually I gained the ridge proper and then the summit. Views were predictably excellent, particularly down the Tripiti gorge, which Strifomadhi is poised directly above, with the deep blue Libyan sea below. The higher peak of Psilafi looked attractive, and was clearly higher, to the west. The broad ridge across to it was obviously quite kind in terms of terrain, so I ran across, above a doline with large snow patch, to gain a very broad col. From here, it was just a few minutes of running at a nice angle to the summit of Psilafi at 1984m. This had great views down to Omalos, as it is probably the closest peak to the hotels. I contoured back to the Strifomadhi ridge past lots of nosey goats, and sat for a good while on the ridge in spectacular atmospheric conditions. Late morning, and wisps of mist were forming and reforming directly above my head. At times I would be enveloped, then seconds later it would clear: it changed continually. Sometimes a large block of cloud formed over Strifomadhi, then a huge patch of blue would appear, with mountains and sea through the gap: it was tremendous, and I sat for a while just enjoying the show. On the way down, I stuck to the ridge, which was nice, and actually saw another person towards the bottom of it. I then drove down to Fournes for lunch of dakos and frappe in a taverna above the orange groves, before embarking on the long drive to Zoniana for part two of my mountain trip.

No comments: