Sunday, October 13, 2019

Caernarfon 10k

Race: Caernarfon 10k (Borders League, Race 1)
Time/Position: 37.22 (55th from 355)
The standard of the league is definitely going up. Just a few years ago, I finished 13th with a time of 35.52 on this course, probably my favourite of all the BL routes. Today, 50 runners went under 37 minutes. As such, I am quite pleased with the time, as it is more or less where I want to be at the moment, although I'm hoping to be 90 seconds quicker by my 50th birthday in May. I would (just) have finished first V50 today, as it happens, but was 6th or 7th V45! We set off along the seafront, which I always like with views to Yr Eifl and the Menai Strait, I felt more comfortable than I have done, after a little bit of recent speedwork as I transition from ultras and mountaineering. With the hilly return through the interior, I couldn't quite stick to sub-6 minute mile pace and slipped back a tad, although never too disastrously. Very wet towards the finish, and torrential shortly afterwards.

No comments: