Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Glas Tulaichean

Peaks: Glas Tulaichean (1051m), Creag Bhreac
Area: Glenshee
I've never been interested in bagging all the Munros, although I've done around 100. The main reason for this is that I've always considered myself a cherry picker, keen to avoid the duller mounds. The reality, however, is that I enjoy almost anything, and always find something to value. This was a good example: a mountain with a dull reputation, with some justification higher up, but by creating a loop I was able to do it justice and the valleys were a delight. I parked by the bridge in Spittal of Glenshee and ran along the tarmac road to the hotel at Dalmunzie, still closed. From here, I took the side valley of Glen Lochsie, which was very pleasant with an ancient Victorian railway (now barely visible) which led up to an abandoned lodge. From here, the real climbing starts, up the featureless Breac Reidh ridge via a jeep track. This curved left with great views over Beinn a'Ghlo, before curving back right to a final pull to the summit. Lovely views over remote peaks like Carn an Righ and up to the Cairngorms with shower clouds over the Lairig Ghru. I was delighted to find that the south-east ridge was gloriously runnable over moss, and passed a golden plover in full breeding plumage. I took in the minor summit of Creag Bhreac before dropping steeply through the crags of Creag Dhearg to rest and drink by a remote little stream tumbling down from the upper slopes. Great views up Gleann Taitneach to some nice looking unheralded peaks like Carn Binnean - and then down into the main glen, crossing the river to a track which gave a long but comfortable descent to Spittal past dozens of bubbling curlew, perhaps the best sound of all. I considered taking in Ben Gulabin but it is very steep from this angle and would have finished me off before the drive home. I had a full (bracing) river bath near the bridge, then drove home.

No comments: