Sunday, July 12, 2020

Berwyn loop

Peaks: Cadair Bronwen, Cadair Berwyn, Craig Berwyn, Moel Sych
Area: Berwyn
With restrictions lifted, I had no desire to brave the crowds in Ogwen or the Clwydians, so headed immediately to an old favourite circuit which is always empty. I did my favourite version of the loop, parking in Llandrillo and heading up the steep road and track to Moel Ty Uchaf (for me, the most wonderful stone circle of all, but you wouldn't want that widely known!). The track turns right and heads straight up the open hillside to eventually gain the summit of Cadair Bronwen. I've been coming here for years and have never seen anybody on the summit. Today: seven people in two different groups! So I pelted across to the main ridge, and up Cadair Berwyn in 5.30 from bwlch above Ffordd Saeson. People were on this summit too, and the next one (which I call Craig Berwyn but is sometimes unacceptably called 'New Top'). The usual boggy trudge to Moel Sych which (finally) I had to myself. Good thing too, for the clarity of light was very unusual: I could clearly see the Brecon Beacons and even distinguish the three peaks of Pen y Fan, Corn Du and Cribyn with the naked eye. Wrekin, Aran, Breidden Hills, Long Mynd, Cader and central Eryri all unusually clear. I contoured round to pick up the boggy path which leads down to lonely Cwm Dywyll, and back down to Llandrillo: 1.58 for the round.

No comments: