Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Cime du Fourchas

Peaks: Cime du Fourchas (2783m)
Area: Vens, Maritime Alps
Apart from the two easy peaks yesterday afternoon, everything else around the hut was a bit more involved. I couldn't find any details about ascent routes, yet from the opposite side of the valley both Cime du Fourchas (the mountain that frames Lacs de Vens and a million pictures) and the higher Clai Superior both looked feasible. In fact, I worked out potential routes from the summit of Cime des Blanches. The hut had a book full of topos but none of them went to the most eye-catching summits. After breakfast, the weather looked a little unsettled - there was a fair amount of cloud around and even a hint of rain in the air, gone was the morning stability of the last two days. My phone was out of charge, and this all meant that an even higher degree of caution was necessary. I initiated the plan I'd hatched yesterday, following a definite path up a stream/gully which I assumed headed up to the isolated Lac du Fourchas. It did, a lovely ascent and a stunning location with a powerful atmosphere. Ahead, Cime du Vens loomed and to the right, Clai Superior, all entirely monochrome above the grey lake. The latter was definitely feasible but not solo in this weather - it was capped by cloud and there were few signs of an improvement. So, it was definitely going to be the consolation prize, Cime du Fourchas. It was still very satisfying to pick my way up this untravelled peak - I would guess it gets very few ascents, perhaps a handful each year. I initially headed east up steeper slopes to gain a hanging valley with two higher lakes (which form a chain). Then I picked my way rightwards towards the obvious ridge, the Crete de Fourchas, which frames Lacs de Vens. After some steep scree, I entered the vague grassy couloir that seemed to offer easy access to the ridge. It did indeed, and emerged at a small col. From here the onward route was clearly straightforward, a broad, rocky ridge leading to a clear highpoint, which had a cairn and some evidence of occasional ascents! I built a small cairn at the top of the grassy couloir, just in case, and headed up and down, the cloudbase remained well above the peak, but still flirted with the higher mountains across the valley. I returned the same way, without difficulties, and after a snack at the hut descended back to the valley and my car. This time I took the standard path the whole way, which contours well above the Lacs de Vens then takes giant zigzags to join the 'cheminee vens' shortcut I'd taken yesterday. Superb views throughout in improving weather: all the way up to the Barcelonette peaks, and the mountains above St Dalmas like Tete du Vinaigre - still plenty to do. I drove down to St Etienne and back to the excellent bakery for an admirably local lunch of coca nicoise and pissaladiere. By St Saveur, the temperatures had climbed dramatically and I had a coffee in exceptionally hot weather before driving over to Peone.

No comments: