Saturday, July 02, 2022

Hlidarfjall

Peaks: Hlidarfjall (771m)
Area: Myvatn, Iceland
After a very long day, my arrival at the wonderful campsite of Bjarg, right on the shores of Myvatn, was a delight - slavonian grebe and red-necked phalarope dabbling around right next to the van. After Graenafell, I had eaten skyr on the edge of the highlands in a wonderful lonely location before descending into the magnificant volcanic landscape around Hverir. Here I took the loop of the boiling, sulphurous craters and went up to the Namarfjall (500m) highpoint with views over the lake and across to the impressive cone-like peak of Hildarfjell. It seemed essential to go up it tomorrow morning (when I planned a more relaxing day) but I thought I should just check the weather first, despite the fact that it had improved to a lovely evening of milky sunshine here in the far north. A sudden change of plan, and action stations, when I realised the forecast for tomorrow was grim. So it was on with the running gear and an attempt to find the route up Hlidarfjall from the lake. This took some time, but it didn't really matter given the constant daylight. That said, I still took a running approach as I wanted my evening meal and a shower! Hlidarfjall is a perfect cone from lower down, although becomes bulkier along the approach, which was lengthy and characterised my very noisy breeding whimbrels (and a few godwit) who seemed distressed by my presence. I trod lightly, and eventually gained the peak itself, taking a direct route up to gain steep and tiring scree which led eventually to a vague col and then easier going up a broad, rocky ridge to the summit. Superb views over Krafla's spectacular volcanic landscape on one side, and all of Myvatn on the other. Sadly, light mist obscured some of it and the weather already seemed to be turning. A cautious descent of the scree cone, then I opened up a bit for the track leading back to Reykjahlio and Bjarn by 8.30pm, for a welcome sulphurous shower and my Icelandic staple meal of 'pocket rocket fishy noodles' before turning in.

No comments: