Sunday, February 19, 2023

Bala double

Over 20 years ago, I ran Ras Llyn Tegid, which used to be a well-known race looping around Bala Lake (in fact, I think dad ran it too, even earlier!). That race is long-since defunct, which is a shame but not all that surprising as although the outward leg is quiet, the homeward leg along the north shore main road is far too busy. My idea was to motivate myself to do a trial long road run to see if my 12th London Marathon scheduled for April is still on the cards, and do it somewhere nice. Broadly, I concluded that it is still on, as I felt surprisingly good today despite the fact that the last long run I did was actually the London Marathon itself last October! My illness prevented me keeping it ticking over. The far side of the lake through Llangower to Llanuwchllyn is a delight, peaceful and scenic with a little mist over Arenig but ideal conditions: mild and calm. Through Llanuwchllyn and then the busier homeward leg, which has a newly built path keeping you away from the road to Glanllyn. I completed the clockwise loop in 67 minutes, had a gel and drink from my car, then continued through Bala to add on a much hillier second loop from Llanfor up the draining climb to Rhiwlas. This was new terrain for me, and the 400ft climb (although tarmac) is pretty savage! Great views, and then a fast descent which came out by the bridge in Bala: 16 miles all at a reasonable 4.15/km pace.

No comments: