Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Round the Walls

Race: Round the Walls (4m)
Time/Position: 24.03 (14th from 556)
The third consecutive Walls race for which I have been recovering from illness. In 2021 I was recovering from Covid, in 2022 glandular fever, and this year a short but unpleasant vomiting bug which struck after Friday's long run. To my surprise, however, I had a good outing - and felt fresh and perky throughout. Perfect conditions for a change, albeit a bit wet on the Roodee, and it was the same course as last year - the most satisfying of the many variants I have raced on my 13 or 14 appearances at this race, one of the oldest in the area. I pulled away from Jez on the racecourse and then upped the pace, perhaps to an unwise extent, for the riverside path to the Grosvenor Bridge. Then it is up on the walls at Lower Bridge Street. I had a great circuit, and as ever I really enjoyed the exciting racing along the walls, taking a couple more places and keeping a decent pace ticking over to the finish back on the Roodee. I was beaten by a mystery V50 but finished ahead of all V40s and V45s. Kate and Morgan had excellent races too, M finishing comfortably in the top quarter despite a distinct lack of training. 

No comments: