Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Abergwyngregyn

Race: Abergwyngregyn (7.4k/390m)
Time/Position: 39.40 (27th from 136)
I was always under the impression this race ploughed up the steep tarmac towards Anafon then bashed up some heather before returning the same way. As a result, I had never bothered with it despite its 'home turf' status. There may be two different routes in the Tuesday night series from Aber - whatever the case, this course takes a logical and very enjoyable clockwise loop to the Falls and above, most of which was familiar territory. Indeed, I remembered the start from a British Champs race up Moel Wnion many years ago. It takes a very steep track to eventually join the gate that leads to the familiar circular contouring route to Aber Falls. I climbed slowly but reasonably well by recent weak standards, and then enjoyed the hard racing along the familiar tracks to Rhaedr Bach. Then comes an awkward rocky section to the main Aber Falls, which again I knew well, before the bonus climb, a draining zigzag haul up the screes and through the woodland (now mainly felled) to eventually gain the spur that comes down from Llwytmor. I have no memory of doing this climb before, and struggled on it after the fast start, and my current sluggishness on all steep climbs. From the top, the race becomes a famously fast pelt down, just a flat-out spring for the finish. I recorded 7.5 minutes for the full 2.2km descent, 3.20km pace throughout. I had done the lower section earlier this year, although the finish is actually at the cabin that marks the start of the tourist path to the Falls.

No comments: