Sunday, June 16, 2024

Tour de Flint and Denbigh

This was supposed to be one of my intermittent 'cycling years' but it hasn't worked out like that yet, due to a combination of circumstances (not least poor weather). I did manage to up the mileage a little today with my first 100k for some time. This route became another of my 'Tour de [historic] Flintshire' outings, centred around a magnificent lunch in Denbigh (and spending a fair amount of time in Denbighshire!). From home, I climbed up to Buckley, then through Mold and Cadole all the way up to Clwyd Gate in the big ring. I felt reasonably good, and it is a fantastic descent to Llanbedr DC after which I took the delightful quiet lanes through Llandyrnog to Bodfari. After the early threat of rain, it became superbly bright and clear along to St Asaph. Then, after a long family lunch it was back in the saddle for the climb up the old Rhuallt Hill, then a semi-inadvertent extension to Dyserth, down Hiraddug Road where we used to live. And then finally benefiting from a now light westerly for the undulating road through Trelawnyd and Lloc to Holywell. Unusually clear views of the Wirral, Liverpool cathedrals and the Pennines. A horrible climb to Pentre Halkyn and then Rbosesmor, then tiny lanes to Northop, Alltami and back to Buckley before coasting home - 100k, 1380m in a less-than-speedy four hours.

No comments: