Friday, June 21, 2024

HK-Conwy-Llanasa-St Asaph

I had been planning to cycle from Conwy to home for some time, as I have always assumed a westerly would ease progress. However, for complicated reasons the opportunity to go the other way arose and winds were mercifully light! I didn't go direct, as I still want to up the mileage a tad in advance of the French trip, so headed east counter-intuitively initially, turning up to Saltney Ferry for the Dee path to Queensferry. From here, I tried to follow the national cycle route which is just laughable. At times, some sections are worthwhile but most of the time it is a typically British half-hearted approach to cycling provision, ridiculously convoluted and often disgorging into the traffic anyway. So eventually I gave up and some of the sections were predictably unpleasant as I essentially reversed my memorable 'virtual London marathon' of 2020, when I ran home from Gronant. It is all a great shame, as a proper cycle path would make this a very pleasant tour of the Deeside communities, all flat. By Gronant, the traffic eases, and by Prestatyn everything changes as you access the promenade near the Nova centre. It was a glorious day, sun-drenched with classic seaside views, and the riding is good. Still not exactly plain sailing though, with sandy sections and hundreds of very slow moving and often very large human beings. I had a short break in Colwyn Bay, taking a good route to Mochdre and then down Pabo Lane to Junction and Conwy. Around 3.20 for the leisurely 80k ride. Next day, I rode back but took a different route and, with rain threatening, decided to head to St Asaph after doing the horrible climb from Gronant to Llanasa. 

No comments: