Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Carneddau from Gerlan

Peaks: Yr Elen, Carnedd Llewellyn
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
The forecast this morning was grim, so I was planning a short outing above Aber. But driving into Conwy it seemed far better, windy and cool with cloud around the tops, but dry. So I carried on and parked at Gerlan where I had a vague plan to go up Yr Elen from Bethesda (up the west ridge rather than down it). Up the familar lanes to the boggy track up into Cwm Llafar, and then across the bog towards the end of the Elen ridge at Foel Ganol. This does become very steep in places, particularly towards the top, but it emerges right on the summit (less than an hour from Gerlan). Windy and cold, with cloud playing around the tops, but I felt reasonably good and it seemed rude not to continue to Llewellyn, so I did. Nicely down the ridge and then a direct line to the summit in 10 minutes or so. Light mist on the top, which I had to myself again. Then down the normal Carneddau motorway towards the Black Ladders before breaking off for the pathless descent into the top of Cwm Llafar. This is a superb place, and I emerged right below Ysgolion Duon/Black Ladders, looking up to the two winter gully climbs I have done here (Central and Eastern) with a slight shudder (we did Central Gully in dreadful conditions in January 2010). Ahead, Llech Ddu and its spur. It must be one of the best locations in Eryri, and it would be nice to camp here some time. The run down to Gerlan was into a headwind, but quite enjoyable at a sustainable jog. Back to the bunkhouse around 1.55 after starting, which didn't seem too bad for 14k/1000m or so, given how boggy it is in places.

No comments: