Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Foel Lwyd

Peaks: Foel Lwyd
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
Since my embarrassingly recent 'discovery' of Nant y Coed above Llanfairfechan I have resolved to make up for years of neglect by exploring the routes up onto the Carneddau from here. This was just a short outing but excellent, taking part of the coast path which we did last December. It more or less reversed that route, climbing up the hillside from Terrace Walk, rounding Carreg Fawr, and emerging at familiar territory, the Drum crossroads onto the Roman Road. This is easy angled up to Bwlch y Ddaefaen, after which I ploughed up the very steep climb to Foel Lwyd (which is always embedded in my memory as the last real climb of our 'Sea to Sea' in 2018). It was hard today too, and I had no wish to extend to Tal y Fan. The weather was better than forecast, a few light spots of drizzle. After the steep descent I cut down to the valley of the Afon Ddu which leads all the way down to Nant y Coed but is tortuous at the top, with no real human path through the gorse. Below, it gets better, and quite beautiful as it descends to the native woodland with the Menai Strait beyond.

No comments: