Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Moelwyn traverse

Peaks: Cnicht, Moelwyn Mawr, Craigysgafn, Moelwyn Bach, Moel yr Hydd, Foel Ddu, Allt Fawr, Moel Druman, Ysgafell Wen South, Moel Llynau'r-cwn, Ysgafell Wen, Moel Meirch, Cerrig Cochion, Carnedd y Gribiau, Clogwyn Bwlch y Maen, Moel Siabod
This was intended to be a considerably more ambitious outing, but my attempt at a solo, unsupported '40 at 40' ended in predictable failure. However, it was still an enjoyable outing which demonstrated the feasibility of the route (for next year). Poor weather had stymied the initial attempt, and I did this on a whim - knowing the route would be harder in reverse. Wonderful weather, perfectly clear and sunny with a cooling easterly wind on the summits. Easy jogging from Croesor up the always enjoyable route to Cnicht - fabulous seaward views as I topped out in 35 mins. Then a hugely enjoyable run down to Llyn yr Adar and across - boggily - to the quarry and long ridge up Moelwyn Mawr. Down over the rocky ridge to Craigysgafn, then good running up the contouring path up Moelwyn Bach. Back the same way before finally starting to head in the right direction! An easy pull up Moel yr Hydd, then the ridge over Foel Ddu, to arrive back at Rhosydd quarry. I tried a short-cut to Llyn Conglog, but this proved problematic - very steep rocky terrain east of the crags above Cwmorthin. After a long slog, I skirted Conglog for the long detour out to the summit of Allt Fawr. Good running across Moel Druman to the three Ysgafell Wen peaks and - after a bite to eat - prospects were looking reasonably good. I was behind schedule, but feeling OK. The mistake was not to take on enough water at what proved the last watersource below Conglog. The long northerly traverse across very boggy terrain to Siabod therefore became extremely uncomforable. The problem then becomes one of motivation - without support, it is hard to get through the inevitable rough patches. Things initially went well, though. The sharp little peak of Moel Meirch, with its summit rock garden and perfect Llyn Edno beneath, is perhaps the most beautiful spot in Snowdonia - yet this was only my second or third visit. The rest of the ridge up to Siabod was entirely new territory for me, and I discovered pretty quickly that it is very hard going over frequent boggy hollows and hidden valleys. I became more and more dehydrated over the minor summits leading to Siabod and was finally forced to contour below the summit of Siabod in a rather desperate search for a stream. Found one eventually but by now it was obvious that I was too far behind schedule to complete the route in a day. My legs felt OK, but there seemed no point overly exerting myself given the time, so I phoned K who kindly picked me up from Capel.

No comments: