Saturday, January 23, 2010

Twin Piers 10k

Race: Twin Piers 10k (Llandudno-Colwyn Bay)
Time/Position: 36:02 (11th from 372)

Nice to be back racing again after all the recent weather-related cancellations. As such, this was an encouraging performance given the lack of meaningful speedwork. It must be the best 10k in the region - nice atmosphere and a satisfying point-to-point seaside course. I did it in 43 mins four years ago! Conditions today were good: coldish, with no wind (although a tail wind would have been nice). Annoyingly, my stopwatch failed immediately, therefore I had no idea of my time throughout the race. This was a problem, as sub 36 was my target. I just had to run hard throughout, try to keep Jez and Neil in sight, and hope for the best - although the field spread out quickly. The sharp hill over the Little Orme was a help, injecting a bit of variety, and I kept it going quite well through Rhos, picking up a few places. I only saw the time when I glimpsed the finish line clock in the final 200m, realised I was close to my target, and pelted to the line. The clock read 35:59 as I went through, but the time was recorded as just over, and I just missed a top 10 finish. I did have the consolation of 3rd v35 though.

No comments: