Friday, February 19, 2010

Dash in the Dark fell race

Race: Llandegla Dash in the Dark race 2 (4m/750ft)
Time/Position: 28:35 (2nd from 25)

Found myself leading this race after the first few zig-zags. A novel experience, to say the least, but particularly so given the wonderful conditions of soft snow and (obviously) complete darkness. A young lad stayed with me, and we pulled away on the long climb to the Black Grouse hide. I gained a few more metres on him during the descent, but he finally pulled past me as we raced along the flat wall at the end of the lake. My fourth running of this race, always great fun, and I followed the route I'd always done: wrongly, as it turned out, because I missed a 200m long new section at the far end of the lake (as did the leader, whose light I was following). I admitted my error as soon as I found out (after talking to others) but was let off as I was nearly 5 minutes ahead of third place, and the whole event is very relaxed and informal.

No comments: