Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sandstone Trail run

The timing of this was not ideal, but I felt the need for a longer hilly outing before next Sunday's half marathon. Since doing the 17m Sandstone race a few years ago I've been intending to run the rest of the trail - but have only done small sections. Today I started in Frodsham itself and gave myself an hour to get as far as I could, before turning back. A steep climb leads from the town up to Beacon Hill (good views of the snow covered Pennines and Clwydians) before a very pleasant rocky path heads SW along the crags to Woodhouses Hill then south below Alvanley cliff. Boggy going in places: I fell at one point, emerging with just a few cuts. The route then heads south through Manley (where the Helsby half emerges) before entering Delamere Forest. I emerged at Barnes Bridge after 55 minutes: that is, the finishing point of the race. The return run was hard going at times, with heavy hail showers.

No comments: