Monday, May 31, 2010

Chester Marathon

Race: Chester Marathon
Time/Position: 3:01:02 (45th from 800)

I could hardly avoid doing this, the inaugural 'home' marathon two days after my 40th birthday. I knew the course would be a grim slog, and wasn't really looking forward to it, but in the event it proved better than expected. Frustratingly, however, I wasn't able to take advantage of the perfect set of circumstances which should have led to a PB: namely, nine hours sleep in my own bed, cool and still conditions, and two days rest and calorific intake on the shores of Tal y Llyn celebrating my 40th over the weekend. It all started well, nicely controlled pace, going through half-way at Hawarden bridge bang on PB target in 1:27:06. I then upped the pace very slightly, working well with a chap from Wellingborough, before starting to struggle just after 20m (which I went through in just under 2:13). Began to slow down, before a crippling stitch hit me just as I ran past my workplace! This reduced me to a literal walk - losing minutes as my 2:53 target disappeared - before I was able to jog painfully through Guilden Sutton to the finish. A disappointing 18th V40 in my first race in the new category.

No comments: