Saturday, June 12, 2010

Foel Fras fell race

Race: Ras Foel Fras (12.8m/3800ft/AL)
Peaks: Drum, Foel Fras, Garnedd Uchaf, Moel Wnion
Time/Position: 1:59:18 (20/84)

After the drama of last year, when bad weather decimated the field and allowed me to get quite a good finishing position, this excellent circuit of the northern Carneddau was tranquil and dry today. Conditions were ideal for fast times, although for the third successive race I felt distinctly off-form. I struggled on all the climbs, not even managing to run all the way up the relatively gentle climb from Aber to the summit of Drum (although it is more than six miles long). Some mist and wind over Foel Fras and Garnedd Uchaf, although nothing compared to last year, and dry underfoot. I took a reasonable line through the boulders below Drosgl although my shoe came off at one point and I struggled again for the steep sting in the tail up Moel Wnion, the fourth peak. Superb sea views cheered me up, and I managed to put a spurt on for the great descent to the village to dip under two hours for this pleasingly logical round. Only 12 days since the marathon, so I suppose I'll have to blame that for my lack of endurance.

No comments: