Saturday, June 19, 2010

Moel Hebog fell race

Race: Ras Moel Hebog (4m/2400ft/AS)
Peaks: Moel Hebog
Time/Position: 55:57 (9th from 43 [2nd v40])

A great event and a classic short fell race, made even better by the perfect weather which continues to provide remarkable clarity of light and helpful dry conditions underfoot. Preparation for this was hardly ideal - 1000ft of rock climbing and nine hours on your feet the day before a race is probably not in any training manual. However, I didn't feel too bad through the delightful woods that lead from the pretty, sun-drenched meadow at the edge of Beddgelert to the track which takes you down to the base of the climb. Then comes a relentless ascent, which I have walked a few times before, up steep grass initially to a shoulder, then along the vague ridge which runs below the crags then curves right up rocky and very steep ground to the summit plateau. My legs inevitably began to tire before the top, partly because of recent activity, although I managed to pick up the pace across the top (36m to trig point) and descended the rocky terrain at the top quite well, moving into 7th or 8th place initially before others took better 'micro-lines' through the tricky terrain lower down. The descent is notoriously punishing for the quads, so I was pleased to keep it going reasonably well, especially when it levels off near the bottom (19m from summit to village). However, I did develop an enormous blister across the base of my heel, which rendered the last section uncomfortable. I got into a sprint finish with another chap, not realising it was actually a sprint for first v40. I ended up missing first place in the category by 6 seconds! Finished 2nd v40.

No comments: