Sunday, June 27, 2010

Moel y Gamelin fell race

Race: Moel y Gamelin (9.5m/2400ft/AM)
Time/Position: 1:24:46 (4th from 52 [1st v40])

A few seconds slower than the last time I did this race in 2008, which was disappointing. However, it was supposedly the hottest day of the year so far and certainly felt it for the final climbs back over Gamelin. I started out quite fast over the first four hills - Moel y Faen, Gamelin, Moel y Gaer and Morfydd. It was a small field, so by the time I climbed over Morfydd I was way behind Neil, Jez and the leader, and well in front of the rest of the field. A lovely cooling breeze helped the first part of the 'moorland' section west of Bwlch y Groes. This is lonely country at the best of times, so it was very peculiar to be out of sight of any other runners. Good though, and I kept a reasonable pace until the final climb, when the stifling heat became a factor. No breeze here, and it was hard to keep motivated in the circumstances! The Conquering Hero bridleway to the ridge was OK but the climbs back over Gamelin and Moel y Faen were very hot and therefore very draining - I lost a lot of time here as I slackened off, feeling very tired, after first confirming nobody was gaining ground behind. I finished 1st v40 again. It's been a good fortnight (or 12 days!), with three category wins and one narrow second, although it's probably been largely by default, with stronger runners not turning up.

No comments: