Saturday, September 08, 2012

Moel Wnion fell race

Race: Ras Moel Wnion (British Championships)
Time/Position: 45:47 (41st from 98)
Perhaps the strongest field I've ever competed in, after 260 or so races. I remember doing some British Championship races many years ago, but I think this was probably more competitive as it was the final race of the season. It was also a Welsh Champs counter, and unfortunately I had to do it because of my disastrous error at Mynydd Troed in April - which rendered my score effectively null and void. The start today, from the fields above Aber, was relentless - going up the track to the west of the Foel Fras race descent. Quite demoralising as I found myself well down the field, feeling very rough, to make matters worse! I struggled all the way up the climb, suffering in the heat (a sunny and hot day for once) and not going at all well. The plateau at the top was a little better, and the usual tremendous sea views enlivened the return trip, as did the views of the Carneddau. Predictably, however, I lost even more places on a very sluggish descent and recorded my lowest finishing position for at least six years, barely squeezing into the top half of the field. I remember doing the old Moel Wnion race in 2007, but that went up from Rachub and included a cracking descent which took in Moel Faban.

No comments: