Sunday, September 02, 2012

Caernarfon 10k

Race: Caernarfon 10k (Welsh 10k Championships)
Time/Position: 36:00 (14th from 201 [2nd V40])
Although this was my slowest 10k for almost three years, I was quite pleased with the performance having been selected to run for North Wales again this year. As with my last appearance in Cardiff 2010, the timing of the Welsh 10k Championships presents a bit of a conundrum: after a summer racing and climbing in the mountains, how do you convert effectively to road without doing any proper speed work? I haven't worked out a solution, so this went as well as could be expected. I felt far more comfortable than at Capenhurst last week: after a quickish first km (3:18) I got into a small coherent group and we plodded along the seafront around 30m behind the tight lead group. Worked a bit with Jez into a light headwind, but (knowing the course well from the border league) I was concentrating on saving energy for the tough second half. After a sharp hill I hit the 5k point at 18:00, the slow pace some reassurance that I wouldn't blow on the second half. In the event, I kept exactly the same pace going over all the hills, and passed a couple of runners on the final sharp climb after 8k. Shame there were no other regional teams present, as our North Wales Veterans team put in a decent performance. We ended up winning the gold medal by default, and I came away with category silver in the Welsh and North Wales Championships.

No comments: