Saturday, July 22, 2017

Gyrn Gallop

Race: Gyrn Gallop fell race (11k/1100ft)
Time/Position: 46.52 (6th from 48)
It was rather nice to be able to see the entire race route from the field in the tiny hamlet in Rhiwlas where we parked. Gyrn is a long summit, quite high for this delightful area of hidden valleys and twisting lanes along the Wales-England border: the Oswestry hinterland. The race should have suited me, but I had a bit of a stinker. Three minutes ahead of the runner behind me, only a minute or so separating second place from me in sixth, with Jez well out in front. A very fast descent down a lane leads to the start of the runnable and fairly gentle bridleway which climbs to the top of Gyrn, with me in second place initially. Although gentle, this kind of climb is always deceptive and the fatigue began to build as I neared the top. The tight group of Oswestry runners all went past me, and although I narrowed the gap on the descent, I then blew completely on the climb back up the steep lane to the village and staggered home at the back of the group.

No comments: